Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Detroit Motor Show

Dear All

What's this doing here?  Its all about 'new' soft top motors.

Highlight of the show for me was seeing a styling exercise on the Ford
stand, a soft-top four seater which took a number of styling cues from the
1955 Thunderbird (the one with the chip-cutter grille).  Depending who you
spoke to on the Ford stand, it is or is not due for production by 2000.
Interesting thing is it has quite a bit in common with the Stag
particularly around the back seat area and tonneau. And the show car was
finished in a yellow VERY similar to Mimosa !!!!  I often wonder whether
the styling guys buy Stags to analyse............

The other surprise was the Honda S2000, a 2-seat sports car with a 2 litre
'4' which revs to 9,000 and gives 240BHP, all this without a turbocharger!
And the styling wasn't Japcrap either, very sleek and modern looking
without being anonymous.  This stands a good chance of zapping the BMW Z3
and the Mazda MX5 in the world's biggest convertible market, the USA.  I
would have asked for a road test, but outside the snow is over 12" thick
and well below zero.  Fair weather motorist!

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register