Stag/Stag Digest Archive

My Autobox Mystery

Hi All
I have in the past asked about my autobox, that loses all the pressure when
cruising at 4000 rpm in 3rd.
I recently found that it was actually kicking down at 4000 rpm, and raising
the revs to 5000 would eanble it to shift back up again.
So after loads of autoshop people (not on this list I hasten to add) telling
me the rear clutch was slipping and I needed a full overhaul, I now had
serious reason to believe the fault actually lay in the valve block, a much
cheaper repair.
I had some SLICK additive in the garage which I recently put in almost on
impluse and not related to the discovery of the high speed kickdown. I had
been meaning to top up with that for a long time but wanted a rear seal leak
done first cos SLICK is pricey at pounds 17.00
Result astonishingly is that the involuntary kickdown at 4000 revs has
disappeared. I can travel for long periods at 85MPH (in Germany of course)
without any flare up and she holds the gear a treat.
Why?
Does any one know what is in that SLICK stuff and how it works and how it has
cured my autobox.
I am delighted with it so far, and hopefully the problem will not return, but
I would sure as hell like to know why, or what is going on!
Answers please (not on a postcard) to this mailing list. Thank you.
Happy Christmas
Peter H