Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Steering wheel movement

Hi Andrew
I think you are talking about play in top column ball races. It is the thing
that happens on bicycles, loose head races.
I removed the steering wheel and placed a short length of steel tubing over
the column so that a bit of thread was still showing. Then I placed the nut
and washer on that and torqued it up to about forty. That pushed down on the
washer.
That washer is called Belle Ville in the parts catalogue. Does anyone know why
that name.
Anyway, it is a washer toothed on the inner cut out, and those spikes dig into
the column and grip it keeping the races tight. (A strangely pretty name for
such a montrously crude device).
So over time it works loose, and the tubing treatment (above) will push it
back.
Then it is quite tight for about two days, and works loose again!!
To replace that washer means a column strip, and then the new washer is just
going to flop about in the gashes made by washer number one.
I suppose what it needs is the perfect length piece of tube located
pernanently under the steering wheel,  not too long as we don't want to
overload those races.
But its a "Tomorrow " job, since its not an MOT failure, its just irritating.
Can anyone else steer their mind to a simple idea to get to grips with this
problem.
Peter H