Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Timing chains

Hello all
I have now found the extent of my timing chain movement without removing the
cam cover!
I removed the Oil Filler Cap, and using a very small barrelled torch looked
into the oil filler opening.
I could see both chain tensioners aha!
I could also see the back plates with the small hooked ends to stop the
tensioners leaving their housings.
I am happy to report that there is a good 10mm between the hooked end of the
back plate and the nearest part of the chain, the case on both tensioners.
This means there is hardly any chain wear after 40,000 miles since
replacement.
This leads me to believe they will last 100,000 with ease, and this in turn
enables me to understand why they are not in the service schedule. It also
cause me to think that premature chain wear is connected with camshaft
problems resulting from warped heads due to overheating, or failure to change
the oil regularly and not to be expected per se.
What do you think?
Peter Howells