Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Curious Metal Loop CONTEST RULES

Hello All,
	Just can not get away with out a few nitpick details.  So, here goes an
"official statement of the contest".  A couple of days ago I posted an inquiry
about some curious loops on the Stag undercarriage.  From the responses, and
getting a wild hare idea, thought to make it a contest to get some folks
searching for information on these little metal loops.  Then the questions
started, so I am now have providing a fair start for everyone, with description,
measurements, and locatation of these loops,  Below reiterates what I have
posted to others, followed by acceptable proof, contest official loop
descriptions and official rules of the contest, Myself being the sole officiator
and judge.

>	Whilst detailing the undercarriage of my Stag, I've noticed two metal loops
>(tack) welded to the floorpan just inboard a couple of inches of the Rear Subframe
>bushes P/N 150382.  These metal loops have nothing attached to them and do not
>look like they ever had anything attached.  I've not located any use in the ROM
>for them, and notice them on all other Stags.  Maybe an assembly aid?
>Actually these loops are sheet steel, rather light duty.  They would not
>support much of a load.  There is one on each side just about 2 inches inside
>the Rear Subframe bushes, far away from the drive shaft.  Each is symetrical to
>the other, about 2 inches long running front to back, an inch wide side to side,
>with about a 1.5 inch loop top to bottom, made of maybe 20 gauge sheet steel.
>The tie downs for shipping are on opposite corners front and rear.
>        I suspect that these are assembly aids to position a jig for attaching and
>aligning some part or assembly like the rear subframe complete with axles and
>diff attached, where maybe a bar slides into each loop forming a guide.

The Official Contest description of the Loops:

	The loops are located 4.5 inches inboard of the P/N 150382 "Rubber Mounting"
(rear Subframe forward mounting rubber bushes) centre securing bolt P/N HU1006,
one loop on the left side of the car, one loop on the right side of the car.
The loops are made of lightweight sheet steel, tack welded in four spots (two
tacks on each side of the loop bend) to P/N 907211 Crossmember Assembly
Heelboard.  Each loop is positioned so that the loop opening runs front to back,
measuring 1.5 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1.125 inches loop depth from top to
bottom.  All orientations are with the car resting on its wheels on the ground,
front toward the engine, rear is toward the boot/trunk, inboard is from the
outside toward the centre of the car. (Brit spelling for the Brits)

Reward Offered:

For anyone who can supply documented proof verifying the purpose of these loops,
I will offer a chrome plated Leaping Stag Lapel pin to the first person to
supply documented proof as described in the Rules below.  The person to supply
the best combination of proof by the deadline wins.  Leaping Stag Pin will
accompany an official looking "Winner" certificate with a scanned color picture
of the loop.

The Rules:
	Qualifying documented proof will be one or more of the following:  Triumph Stag
or other Triumph Model ROM or parts catalog page and section reference,
Triumph/BL drawing, assembly document, technical notice or factory/shipping
picture showing the loop and or attaching component(s).  I will also accept a
statement made by a person on the assembly line or production area who had
direct experience in either using the loops, or saw the specific use and has a
rational bonafide description, provided the description includes the
ex-Triumph/BL employee's name, description of their work, plant they worked at,
and dates of their work(approximate).   The person to supply the best
combination of proof by 23:59:00 GMT 31 December 1998 shall be deemed the
winner. Qualification of the documentation and point scheme to be made solely by
myself.  Prize will be mailed to the winner in the post. the first week of
January, 1999. Winner will be notified by the method used to supply the proof,
post or e-mail.  Previous submittals up to the date of this official rules
publishing (Officially 23:59:59 GMT 27 November 1998) are heretofore considered
invalid and may be resubmitted.  Contest open to everybody, One submittal per
person, so gather your info first, then submit your best proof.  No runner ups,
no ties, bribes are cheerfully accepted by the judge for any contest related
resolve, and the underdog will win over a techie who should know what it is used
for.

Proof will be graded by a number points scheme as follows:

-original drawing or document showing the loop, P/N and use;
	- by post, 100 points
	- by scanned e-mail, 99 points

-Certified sworn document by an ex-Triumph/BL assembly personnel;
	-actual assembly technician
		- by post, 98 points
		- by scanned e-mail, 97 points
	-worker in the area, not a Stag technician
		- by post, 96 points
		- by scanned e-mail, 95 points

-ROM or parts catalog reference
	- by post, 94 points
	- scanned copy by e-mail, 93 points
	- text reference by e-mail, 75 points (only if I can get a hold of the manual)

-Non Certified Description of the use by a named ex-Triumph/BL assembly
personnel;
	- by post, 50 points
	- by scanned e-mail - 49 points

-Non Certified Description of the use by an un-named ex-Triumph/BL personnel;
	- 0-48 points based on judges discretion

-"I think it was used for"
	-points offered by best reasonable rational description, by the judge (me),
0-48 points

- for each fresh Guinness Draught bought for the judge, 5 points, maximum
capacity, 10 pints (heck, for that you can buy a gold plated pin...)

Submittals of contest proof must contain the words "Curious Metal Loop Contest",
along with the name and appropriate address (e-mail OR post) of the submittant,
and must be received in my post or e-mail box on or before 23:59:00 GMT 31
December 1998.  Not responsible for lost or delayed entries.
This contest void where such contests are illegal.  This constitutes the
complete extent of the contest.

Contest entries to:

Glenn A. Merrell
"Curious Metal Loop Contest"
210 Bass Circle
Lafayette, Colorado  80026-1811  USA

mailto:gmerrel@domain.elided

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman; VTR Stag Vehicle Consultant
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Register UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided