Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Storage rack

Brian,
I have copied an idea which I first saw in the SOC newsletter years ago, and
it has worked very well for me. The rack is actually in two assemblies, each
assembly comprised of 3 pieces of wood; 2x4 as they are called in the US. Each
assembly consists then of a long 2x4 and 2 short 2x4's. The short pieces are
bolted to the ends of the long piece, so when installed it forms a wide U
hanging from the ceiling. The horizontal member goes under the front of the
hardtop (as you would have it installed on the car) and supports it.The ends
of the short 2x4s are attached to a rafter in the garage. The other U
assembnly has longer short pieces, and additionally has hinges at the end of
the short pieces attaching it to a rafter so it forms a trapeze. In use, with
the aid of a helper the hardtop is lifted at an angle and the front end is set
onto the shorter U horizontal member. The trapeze-like U is then lifted up and
behind the hardtop, the hardtop is raised up high enough to then let the
hardtop down and rest on the rear trapeze near the rear vent windows. A chain
may be attached from the trapeze section to the front U to prevent anyone from
inadvertently pulling it back, or as in California; earthquakes. I have found
this very convenient and easy to build, but it does require a helper to stow
the hardtop. Best Regards, Mike Moore