Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: oil pressure fluctuations

At 01:41 PM 11/13/98, Brian A.Tink wrote:
>Basically the problem is that my oil pressure guage fluctuates over a
range of approx. 5 to 7 psi, depending on certain conditions, that is,

>the oil pressure changes depending on whether I am  going up or down hill
and/or accelerating or have the foot off the load pedal.

Brian,

Mine does this also. It can happen because the Stag's only crankcase vent
is connected to manifold vacuum.  5-7 psi is about 13-19 inHg and indicates
a well assembled motor with good piston ring seal. All parts of the oil
system are subject to the same vacuum, so oil pressure is not really
affected, only the gauge reading.
A way to test for this would be to loosen the filler cap to create a
crankcase leak and see if the pressure still fluctuates.