Stag/Stag Digest Archive

oil pressure fluctuations

greetings from canberra.

I may have raised this subject sometime ago but I cannot remember any responses etc, so here goes again.

Basically the problem is that my oil pressure guage fluctuates over a range of approx. 5 to 7 psi, depending on certain conditions, that is,

the oil pressure changes depending on whether I am  going up or down hill and/or accelerating or have the foot off the load pedal.

1)  on a level road, if I accelerate the pressure drops, if I take the foot off the pressure raises.

2)  if I am going up hill the pressure drops and down hill the pressure rises.  This occurs even if I still have the right foot down

these changes also happen at a constant RPH.

while I concede that ooil may flow back into the sump better going downhill, I have a problem with this theory on the level road.

My only clear thoughts at the moment is that it has something to do with the chain tensioners.  I do not know the history of this engine, it was suppose to have been rebuilt probably about 35,000 miles back but who knows whether the tensioners were replaced.

any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

in the meantime keep staggering

brian