Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Distributor

I believe that the difference in the spring sizes is achieve a non
linear advance curve the smaller guage spring holds the weights first as
the revs increase the ignition is advanced as the spring stretches so
between idle and about 2000 rpm the ingnition advances quite quickly
then the slack in the second spring is taken up and it comes into play
slow the rate of increase of advance. I wouldn't fiddle with the springs
too much they are easy to damage and any damage would alter your advance
curve. I would just ensure that the weights move freely and are lightly
greased and ofcourse that that gear shaft and the arn't siezed together.

The double base plate is for the vacume advance without it you will have
no vacume advance. Unless the pirana ignition has a vacume meter and
adjusts the timming electronically you need the double base plate . You
can get a replacment base plate from rimmers I have replaced mine as I
also had one of the little arm broken.

Luke
74 Stag.

Luke Stevens