Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Leaded Petrol Etc.....

Mike,

People seem to forget unleaded petrol was bought out because the lead is
damaging to catalytic converters. The sorry saga for banning leaded
petrol started from that. For me It's going to cost £350 per
fuel-injected car for a metering unit and approx £300 per car for a
6-cylinder head to be converted.

Certain engine are I believe almost impossible to convert. i.e. 2.6
landrover engines circa 1960-1976 these are OH inlet  and side exhaust
valve's.

I personally am pretty disgusted with the British Government when they
had the option to extend leaded supply (was it for 5 years, I'm not
sure) and not ban it in 2000. That would have given their citizens more
time to convert and I'm sure there would by then less cars on the road
that need 4-star.

Car manufacturers must be really happy about the demand created for new
car's by this banning. I read some where that the manufacture of a new
car creates far more pollution than running a classic on the road.

If Lead's so harmful when are they going to ban aeroplanes from using
it?

All the best,

Richard  Brake         (Just my thoughts)
richard.brake@domain.elided

Stag 			1972
2.5PI Saloon	1971
2.5PI Estate  	1970 (for sale anyone?)