Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Leaded Petrol Etc.....

Hi Mike

What I would like to put forward is the following.

The government taxed us on buying new cars, at the time they where new, and
are now trying to stop us using these cars by banning leaded petrol, so if
they are taking away our choice of transport then I think that there should
be some form of re-imbursement, not that any amount of money could cover
this, a couple of million maybe !! But they also tax us every time we fill
up with four star, as well as other fuels. So by banning leaded petrol they
are going to cut down there own revenue from sales of fuel.

But what about all those people out there who can't get replacement parts to
make there cars run on unleaded, the value of these cars will be brought
down to rock bottom as they will be worthless, and so ending a part of our
English heritage. These cars are not just very old cars, as a friend of mine
is in the process of rebuilding a 1984 2.8i Granada Ghia MK2 and unleaded
valves are not available for this car, even from ford!!!
Although he has been told that Sierra valves can be cut and ground down to
size, but how much would that cost ? for all 12 valves.

This situation does not just apply to "old" cars and so the government, in
my opinion, should be made to pay a portion if not all of the costs of
having cars converted to run an unleaded, afterall just about every garage
company a couple of years ago were altering the timing on cars to run on
unleaded for free !!

In my opinion the government is just talking balls and should try getting a
life instead of doing whatever Brussels tells them. After all what ever
happened to the Great in Great Britain !!

Just my own ravings for your thoughts.

Ian Baird
MK1 '70 Stag
S.O.C. Wirral Area