Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Seat foam source

Bruce,

I looked in vain 2 years ago and could not find any vendor (US or UK) that
offered the seat back foam for the Stag seats. My bottom cushion foam pads
were OK and did not need replacement. I ended up going to the local fabric
store and buying some high density foam (blue in color, not the white softer
stuff). I took one seat apart (picture large pile of foam dust on the work
bench) and left the other together to use as a guide. I roughly measured the
assembled seat and cut several over size blocks out of the foam sheet. I used
an electric meat carving knife to cut it--worked quite well. You actually wilI
need to cut and triam and glue several pieces so it wraps around the seat fram
like the original composite foam. Icut the pieces purposely too large so I
could trim them after they were attached to the seat frame.

I then measured the approximate dimensions of what I thought the foam should
be based on the dilapidated but still assembled other seat. I transfered these
measurements to the foam with a magic marker. Be careful since the seats are
not symetrical and your model assembled seat is a mirror image of the seat you
are building. After a little (well, really a lot) of patience, some spray trim
adhesive, and some shaving the surface with the electric knife, I slowy
"sculpted" new foam. I had to "try on" the cover and tweek the foam a bit
before they fit OK. The end result was not show room new but it was certainly
better than before.

I did order the rubber seat diaphrams from one of the US sources in Arizona
and it turned out they sent me TR6 diaphrams--they fit with a bit of struggle.
I am not sure if they actually make Stag diaphrams or if everyone just sells
you the TR6 ones. However, they are a litlte different in shape.

All in all a good winter project. Let us know if you find a source for the
seat back foam. Good luck!

Carel Allen
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA