Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Leaded Petrol Etc.....

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Mike Wattam wrote:

> I have been asked to speak at a 'panic' meeting organised for next
> Wednesday 18th in London.  Other attendees will include politicians, petrol
> companies, UK petrol station trade association, consumer lobbyists
> including the dreaded Consumers Association, additive and silly add-on
> fuel-line device manufacturers...
> At the moment my theme is'why go along with Brussels and ban leaded petrol
> when it is not harming anyone, but the alternatives are unproven and their
> environmental effect is hazarduous.

NOTE: I speak here only for myself, not necessarily representing anyone's
views but my own. But I think I must take issue with "why...ban leaded
petrol when it is not harming anyone...." It appears to me that the
effects of lead poisoning, especially on young children and babies as well
as on adults, are well documented. It is difficult to understand how one
can express concern over environmental effects of some of the lead
substitutes while at the same time ignoring the effects of lead.

Further, a sizable number of us in the hobby have noticed LITTLE OR NO
deterioration of older engines run on no-lead gasoline. Check with Neil
Revington and John Kipping (to name just two well-known amongst Triumph
folk). For those whose engines have suffered, the "fix" is not exactly
cheap, but it is not out of line with any other major overhaul, and it is
a small price to pay for the sake of our health and that of our children.

Again, speaking only for myself here,

--Andy

* amace@domain.elided                     *