Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Purist / Fanaticism - Sense of Humor Check

Hi all
The thing about this why have a Stag. Because it is a beautiful looking 2 plus
2 seater convertible which makes a great sound.
I can't see the point of changing the engine. Many do however because I
suppose they fear the original engine is fragile. The problem is that if the
engine overheats that is trouble bigtime. Many of them used to because their
blocks were not completely clean of casting sand, or they used the wrong or no
antifreeze and the corrosion caused blockages. The cooling system is marginal
anyway. A combination of design fault, build quality and poor servicing.
A properly set up and maintained Stag engine will go for miles without
problems. Once set up, if the water circulates properly and one uses
antifreeze suitable for Aluminium heads, then the marginal cooling system will
cope. Mine does so admirably. Regular oil changes are necessary to ensure the
timing chains are adequately lubricated to prevent wear and stretching and
overextending the hydraulic tensioners.

I think the main weakness is the absence from the service schedules of the
frequency of timing chain checks or changes. I have heard change of chains at
25000 miles recomended. Mine were checked at 23000, and there was zero wear,
no excess play and no over extension of the tensioners. So I suppose they can
go 100,000 miles. If they are not changed in time, something goes horribly
wrong. I am not sure what it is. I have been told the tensioners pop out of
their housings, chains go slack and jump cogs leading to all sorts of
expensive mischief. It is a pity there is no way to check the tensioners
without removing the front plate, a big job.

Personally I should think most Stag engines are sorted by now.
I have no objection to other engines being fitted, but I think of thoses cars
as hybrids. A real Stag has a Stag 3.0 litre V8.
Peter H