Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Purist / Fanaticism - Sense of Humor Check

Hi Bruce,
	An' it's a left to the jaw, a right to the bread basket...a left, a right, a
left...

	Now fanatic, I'll buy that one...jus' crazy 'bout them Stags, but we'll need to
explore this original engine maintenance cost issue later and in great detail.
Remember, it was Ford, Chevy and Chrysler that got us yanks into the "just drive
it" habit, but they ain't a Triumph by a long stretch.
	Now, I may agree that a Rover 3.5 Litre may have once saved the Stag, or at
least should have been the logical choice to begin with during development, but
there are clear performance and asthetic differences between the original Stag
V8 and ANY conversion that change the whole character of the car.  Sound,
smoothness, response, handling, are all car characteristics and driver
preferences. A properly maintained and tuned Stag V8 is an absolute dream, none
other like it anywhere, and a neglected one is your worst nightmare.  It is not
an issue of purist vs fanatic vs Stag Lover, arguably, a V6 just can not match
the smoothness of the Stag V8, nor can the Rover 3.5 (unless it has been
balanced and ported with tubular exhausts). I thought long and hard about a
conversion, but never found what I would agree would be a suitable replacement
engine for my tastes.  I even had an option on a 1 year old Ford 5.0 litre high
output fuel injected V8 with a 5 speed, complete with computer.
	Point is, I have never come across another engine that has he same combination
of smoothness, torque range and sound that the Stag V8 has.  Sort of like the
difference between drinking Bud or Guinness, Ripple vs Beaujolais, they all get
you there, but like the quotation on my bathroom wall states "happiness is not a
station you arrive at, but rather a manner of traveling".
	Here come the 100,000 mile original engine Stags never been apart drive it thru
the desert and only changed the oil stories....better be careful around Dave
Berquist!  :-o

;-}

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

REGISTER YOUR STAG on the STAG DATABASE (courtesy of Dave Sims):
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/index.shtml

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
Andrew Mace, President
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
Mike Coffey, Chairman
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Registry UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided