Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V4 #74

Glenn Merrell wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>         So ever who said I was/is a purist?  I do VERY strongly maintain:
> 1. that there is nothing wrong with the deign of the original Stag engine that
> normal routine maintenance won't cure;

Perhaps nothing wrong with the DESIGN, indeed - but the implementation of the design is what
killed the British sports car industry (and I am assuming you are EXCLUDING the Lucas electrics
from the "engine" when you make that statement).

As for NORMAL maintenance, normal for what?  No comparison to a '72 Chev, Ford, etc. (yeah, I
know, no comparison on the fun either - that's why I have owned a Stag  for so long).

> 2.  that the original Stag engine is no more costly to rebuild and maintain than
> performing a complete engine/transmission conversion;

Rebuild - probably true.  Maintain - no way!  You're comparing Stag V8 maintenance to the
(typical conversion) Buick V6 - the Buick/.Rover wins any day.

> 3.  That "period modifications" are quite acceptable, including various
> performance modifications like tubular exhaust manifolds which require moving
> the alternator to the A/C compressor location, fuel injection, poly bushes,
> lowered suspension, louvered hood (bonnett),  SS exhaust, 15" alloy wheels with
> low profile tires, hardened crankshaft, balanced and blueprinted engine,
> polished and ported heads, reprofiled camshafts, chromed valve covers, uprated
> radiator, MY OWN composite radiator cowl set (that is not a purist original
> part)...etc, etc.

Frankly, I couldn't agree more.  Life goes on since 1972!  Using today's technology to keep the
cars on the road and more enjoyable is great.

>         A line might be drawn by the owner bulding their car for concours showing, vs
> those of us who wish to have one of the classiest  and cleanist lines cars ever
> produced that is an original period type car in great condition to drive for fun
> and pleasure.  I appreciate a really clean professional conversion, and a full
> original restoration even more, but really detest chop jobs.
>
> So, where's the beef? No flip-flop here...

I told you it was a Sense of Humor check, Glenn - there is no beef!

I thoroughly enjoy your contributions to the Forum and have benefited greatly from them.  I rail
at the purists - it's just a car, meant for us to enjoy, not a sared work of art.

Best wishes and keep up the great contributions!

Bruce
72 Stag since 1986