Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Tickford Triumph Stag

Hi Chris

The car was definitely an acquired taste, as a styling exercise it should
(IMHO) have gone to the crusher in the sky on day 2.  While Tickford have
done some lovely cars, they have also produced a lot of nasty ones, e.g.,
the Tickford Metro which looked like it had lost a bad argument with a
Skoda.

Interestingly, Rover in 1978/9 thought about reviving the Stag and had
Tickford take a stab at it.  I am assuming the (much later) Tickford car
was based on that aborted exercise.

The Tickford car seems to pop up from time to time, last I heard of it the
tin-worm had done its worst and it really needed restoration, another new
owner was promising to put it back to standard trim.

Situation is complicated as I know of at least one 'copy' and there may now
 be more.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register