Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Master Brake cylinder

Hi Dave

I had no problems separating my servo and master cylinder while the
servo was still fitted to the car. I seem to recall two 1/2"AF nuts
which a standard open ended spanner fitted and then the two brake pipes.
The master unit then just pulls off the two studs on the servo and lifts
out of the car.

I took the precaution of pumping all the fluid out of the reservoir by
bleeding brakes both back and front. This emptied both the reservoir and
the brake pipes that run across the bulkhead thus ensuring that I didn't
spill that nasty corrosive brake fluid on my car.

I do remember however that there was still a considerable amount of
fluid actually in the master cylinder and this required a certain amount
of caution when disassembling. As it had a habit off squirting across
the garage and all over some perfectly painted surface. Doh!

I can't remember how I eventually got out the inner circlip but I do
remember it was an absolute pig and I don't possess a set of long nose
circlip pliers..

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag