Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Electrical Puzzles - more

Hello Peter,
	I would hope that the fusing in your fuse block is there to protect the wire
leading from the fuse block to the various accessories. That is the normal
function of a fuse.  Wire current carrying capacity is sized to carry at least
125% of the maximum current load of the device, and the fuse is (should be)
sized to protect the wire from drawing more current than it is designed to carry
before it burns up and catches your car on fire.  This 125% is a minimum value
for safety.  he wire may be larger.  By adding a larger fuse, you risk burning
up the wire harness.
	The second reason that the fuse is more than four times the actual operating
load amps to the headlights is is different than the initial current surge from
the lamps being switched on.  First initial current to an inductive device like
a lamp is like a shorted circuit for a millisecond or two.  This initial
"inrush" of current is not enough to heat up the fuse to burn it out.   In other
words, the wire to the headlights should be sized to carry 125% more than the
rating of the fuse so the fuse breaks before burning up the wire, and the fuse
is sized for the full maximum rating of the device.

Just some basic electrical standards stuff, not my opinion, and I would not
speculate buy adding more stuff on the circuits.
Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Registry UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided