Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Electrical Puzzles - more

Hi all
Puzzle 1
Why is there a 25 Amp fuse for each headlamp and a 10 amp fuse for each dip
lamp.
In UK they are all the same bulbs, 55watt. divide 55 by 12 Volts =  4.58 Amps.
Thus 10 amps should be enough for both main and dip.
Puzzle 2
On the cover of the fuse box we see Headlights Main Beam 1
then Headlights Main Beam 2
then Headlight Dip Beam RH
Headlamp Dip Beam LH
Why use a 1 and 2 convention in naming the main beams, and a RH LH convention
to name the dip beams?

I have just wired in a rear Fog Lamp to my 1971 Car, hence my current (ha ha)
preoccupation with things electrical.
I wired the fog lamp so that it comes on when I put the Master light Switch to
the FOG position. Trouble is the headlights go out because this switch
position is meant for Front Fog lamps. However on the relay board I have
installed an extra relay powered by the fog lamp wire and this pulls the
headlamps back in by drawing power from the spare overdrive fuseway to the
spare blade on the headlamp (Dip) fuseway.
I think it is quite a good arrangement. I hope you do too!
Peter H