Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Manual overdrive gearboxes

Ian,

I've just had problems with my overdrive and now it's working fine.  My
initial problem was that the o/d would engage at the flick of the switch in
all gears including reverse!! It could have been very costly but it turned
out just to be very noisy!  On your Mk 1 you'll have the A type overdrive
and, with the ignition switched on, and in 3rd or 4th gear, switch the
gearlever  switch to the 'in' position.  You will hear a definite click from
the solenoid as it moves.  On the later J type, the solenoid is silent.
Try this first and let us know the results before the complicated bits
start!