Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag tire size

Hi Dennis,
    Ohhhhh, tires.....a big liability issue here!  This could cause you to
wreck or force you to drive off a cliff if the wrong advice was given.  But
I'll take the gamble!

When I was in the UK in May, there were many many different setups on the many
Stags.  The only 65 series ones I managed to look at were on 15" Panasports
with  a wider wheel bead rim width.  The question comes up about how much rim
width you have to keep the tire tread flat across the tire, keeping the tread
from bowing by pulling the beads in farther than their normal design  This
causes the tire to bulge a bit in the middle shortening your tread life and
affecting handling.  From what I recall, the stock wires also have a different
rim bead that is flat, where the alloy and steel wheels have a ridge that
matches the bead of the tire to help keep it in place.
    I'd also look at the type of driving you are going to do, and the weather.
Your selection of all weather tread is very limited by 65 series tyres that are
typically performance tires.  I recall that NY gets lots of rain and snow  from
time to time, so I'd think about a tire that at least has good wet traction
design.
    Someone on the list will most likely respond with a 195x70x14 Michelin XVR
which was very popular on many UK Stags and was reported by all I asked to
provide a good all round ride/performance in various weather conditions.

Don't drive off a cliff!

Regards,
Glenn Merrell