Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Z-S carb rebuild - temperature compensators

One other thing I found late last night was that the both of the
temperature compensator adjusting screws were cranked down all the way.
This kept the compensators fully closed even above 150F.  This will
cause the engine to run rich when warm.  For more information on how
to adjust them, point your browser to:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/temp-compensators.html

I'm going to reset them to start opening at 115F per this article,
which was written for a 1974-1/2 TR6.  Does anyone know if the
temperature compensators should be set to open at a different
temperature than this?  I ask this because the US market Stags take
their intake air suction from in front of the radiator instead of
engine compartment air like on the US TR6s.  Also, the TR6 carbs
do not seem to get as hot as the Stag carbs since there is not as
much coolant flow through the TR6 manifold heating tube as in the
Stag, where all of the coolant flow is through the bottom of the
manifold.

It's interesting to see how my three Triumphs are set for intake air
temperature.  The TR6 takes it from the engine compartment.  The
Stag is designed to keep the intake air above 68F, and the TR8
thermostatic flap valves regulate the intake air temperature at 100F.

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6