Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Specs

  Hi, Mike,
          Judging by the number of people that ask this question,
there ought to be a standard reply the digest could put up!
          The Stag is a lazy cruising vehicle and not in the same
category as TVR, Lotus or Westfield. Also, bearing in mind the
newest one you can buy will be 20 years old, you could not
expect the steering geometry to match those sorts of cars.
         That aside, the Stag is a very satisfying car to drive and
has adequate acceleration and cornering capabilities. Personally,
I wouldn't want one that had been fitted with a non-standard
engine, but, undoubtedly, the Rover engine is more reliable than
the original Triumph V8. There are plenty of books on Stags,
some of which are regularly advertised in classic car magazines.
        Incidentally, a well maintained Stag engine will give good
service. Mine had done 140,000 miles, with only one head
overhaul, before, foolishly, I neglected to check the timing
chains and damaged a piston and valve. Even so, the people
rebuilding the engine have remarked on how little wear there
is in the bores and the crankshaft.
       It seems to me most people who buy a Stag do so because
it is lovely to look at and a headturner to drive, not because it is
a road racer,
           Stan Barnett.

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:34:29 +0100 Mike Buckham <MBuckham@domain.elided>
wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I recently decided that I want a V8 car and have now decided that it
>should be a Triumph Stag. I already own a Triumph Trophy 1200 motorbike,
>so the Stag would complete the set nicely.
>
>Could anyone tell me any specifications they know about it or where to
>find them such as power output, weight, etc. What are they like round
>twisty corners? I have friends with TVRs, Lotus Elises and Westfields
>and I am wondering if I stand any chance at all of keeping up with them.
>
>Do you all still have the original Triumph V8? I was wondering about its
>reliability since in the classifieds it seems that half have been
>replaced with a Rover 3.5 unit. Does anybody recommend one or the other?
>
>Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike.
>
>mbuckham@domain.elided