Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Z-S carb rebuild, free play in "choke" device shaft

I finally got around to checking my carbs today.  I was working with Joe
Pawlak on Monday night swapping parts to see what wasn't working on his
Stag.  We got lucky on our first attempt and found that his carbs were
the culprit.  His Stag started on the first twist of the key when we
put my carbs on his manifold.  The removable pedestal is a pretty good
idea, after all...

Anyway, when we put my carbs back on, I found a leaky fuel line.  I
decided to replace all of the fuel hoses from the filter to the two
carbs as a preventative measure, and while I had everything off, I
decided to take the carbs apart to see what was causing the Stag to
run rich (tail pipes black, soot on the trailer).

The first thing that I found was that there were no o-rings inside the
air valve dampers.  Amazingly, one carb was holding oil rather well
without the o-ring, and the other would drain down in about a month.
Needless to say, new o-rings have been installed.

The left carb had been adjusted all the way lean and it still ran rich,
so I decided to check the float setting.  I found it at 15mm instead of
17, and raised it back up to 17mm.  The other carb float level was at
17mm.

I also noticed that both of the choke disk shafts seem to very loose in
their bushings.  I can wiggle the shaft and actuating arm more than I'd
like to be able to.  Can the choke bodies be rebushed or is it cheaper
to just get a new choke body?  Also, I had a stuck float and fuel was
dripping out of the choke body where the shaft comes out.  Are there
supposed to be any seals for the choke body (aside from the gasket
around the edge) or does it rely strictly on the dimensions of the
bushing and shaft to keep the dirt out?

I'll report back tomorrow on how the tune-up went...

Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6