Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Some odd logic

Hi Brian

This is a question I raised with Triumph first time I changed the air
cleaner in 1973, and this was also when they still had engineers at
Triumph!

Apparently, they are there to give swirl to the air, resulting in better
fuel mixing and thus improved emissions.  It sounded a bit far-fetched to
me at the time, but the engineer was emphatic.  If you look at the size of
the carburettor throttles and the intake manifold passages, it is clear
that the intake pipes are over-sized.

Of course as you probably already know by looking at your own car, these
restrictors were built into the air cleaner base and were not separate
parts.  That is, apart from a few very early cars and this is contrary to
what the parts book says.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register