Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Coolant in Vee

Hi Glenn
Thanks for the advice. Just what was needed. The heads are not aligned
correctly, as when loosley sitting the manifold in its location, I notice it
rocks about a little.
I have assembled it hand tight to one head and the clearance on the rear left
flange is between 22 thou at the bottom and 35 on the top edge and bigger gaps
than the front flange!! Means the heads not only not parallel, but looks like
a previous skim has taken away the 90 degree V angle and made it about 90 and
a 1/4 degrees.
Fortunately the gappy bit is around the inlet Tracts and not the water jacket.
With care and a sealing product I have which Rover use on ally engines I will
succeed.
If not then its a new unleaded head!! At least its a Left one! Hm, will try to
avoid that if possible.

As for the wifes tooth brush. hmmmm, I already used her mascara brush for
cleaning up the threads in the heads!!

By the way while doing this I found one distributor mounting bolt loose. It
tightened up very easily. Is it s trick of trade to leave the bulkhead
(firewall) one undone to make timing adjustments easier or was it just an
oversight by the last mechanic?

Thanks again
Peter Howells