Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Coolant in Vee

Hi All
Well the inlet manifold is off.
The gasket, which is an orangey colour, at the point of leak LH rear is like
wet pastry, and squidged out by the torque in the bolt.
All the others are quite good, but the other rear was on the way.
So what is eating my gaskets?
They seem to have been fitted using a sealant that is like a very soft clear
rubbery substance.
Its stuck to the head in places and hard to remove, as are some patches of
brown staining. Near the water slots the staining fromthe antifreeze is
slightly bluish.
Are you all asleep yet?
The heads look good, I am happy to report, but one inlet tract has a slight
pulled up edge which I will dress off with a file, drawing back into the vee.
I hope the new gaskets will survive better. They are grey asbestos free type.
Peter