Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE:Unleaded Petrol

The problem of engine fires and so on happened with the introduction of
unleaded petrol in the UK, it was alleged that the unleaded petrol was
highly volatile and would spontaneously combust whenever you turned your
back.  This was mainly a press story.

Eventually an investigation was carried out by government scientists
showing a very slightly faster combustion rate but NO volatility.  There
was an unfortunate coincidence of the availability og unleaded petrol and
the wide adoption of EFI.  The under-bonnet fires were established to be
caused in accidents to cars fitted with electronic fuel injection, but with
no safety cut-off.  Legislation was subsequently enacted to make fuel
cut-off devices mandatory on all new cars.

We with our Stags can be very smug to know that 28 years ago, Triumph had
the foresight to fit fuel cut-off switches to our cars.

All types of petrol are exceedingly intolerant of rubber and plastics,
which is why fuel hoses should be regularly inspected and renewed.  In the
case of the Stag, the obvious problem area is the flex between the in-lione
filter and the left side rocker cover.  Only ever use hose specifically
designed to carry petrol (it is always marked so on the casing) from a
reputable supplier.  Also cehck petrol hoses etc., in your boot as fumes
can build up here.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register