Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Alternate engines

Hi all
I have a sneaky feeling those high milers result from the huge distances
travelled in US in comparison with UK.
Mine will sit at 3500revs all day cruising along, but I have usually got where
I am going in 2 hours or less.
Its the urban cycle that kills the engines.  Multiple cold starts.  Stop start
traffic.
I imagine thats why we need to keep changing the oil. Apparently the modern
oils that allow cars to run 12000 between changes will not work in Stags. Its
connected with the design of the piston rings. I am told the Stag has a dirty
engine and needs mineral oil changed frequently.
So don't waste money on synthetics.
Any experts out there?
I would love to get 100K out of mine, but here I am about to do the Inlet
manifold gaskets after 37000 miles. Does that count?
Peter Howells