Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Rear suspension question

Hello Thomas,
    The sealant that you use for mounting the rear suspension bushes is
called Plastiseal, a non-hardening water resistant putty.  It does two
things:  Seals out water so the well that the bolt/washer sits in does not
fill up with water and rot out a main suspension point, and two, acts as an
insulator to keep road vibrations off of the chassis.  If you look in the
hardware store, plumbers putty formulated for plastics is very close to the
same stuff, stays pliable forever.  Some auto parts stores will also carry
it, sometimes called chassis dope.  Make sure it is non-hardening and water
resistant.
    The paper gasket is actually an insolator to keep the brake cylinder from
rusting solid in place, as the brake fluid that will seep out of the cylinder
will strip off the paint. I vaugely recall that there is another purpose for
the paper gasket explained in one of my old Herald manuals...a mind is a
terrible thing to loose...and I'm not a geezer yet!

    The upper brake shoe spring is placed on the back side to keep the shoes
forced back against the backplate.  If the spring is on the front side, the
shoes want to pull away from the backplate and will sometimes bind up.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
membership inquiry's to: