Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Can of worms...

Good Afternoon,

As many of you are aware, I am currently in the throws of replacing a
section of 'melted' wiring loom from behind the centre console...
This has been the source of troublesome dashboard lights, troublesome
footwell lamps and a plume of smoke on occasions...   :o(

In removing this section of loom I noticed that the footwell lamps had been
spliced into the permanent +ve feed to the cigarette lighter.
I checked the Haynes manual and found this to be incorrect. I also noticed
that according to the Haynes manual, the door switches, switch the +ve
supply to the lamps.
Further investigation revealed that the door switches are actually earth
switching!!!

Are you getting confused yet? - Okay, basically my car has been converted
from +ve switching footwell / door switches to earth switching switches.

I obtained another section of loom from another STAG today. Surprise,
surprise it has been converted in exactly the same way...!

So, my question is... is this a factory modification or was there a recall
at some point. If not, is anyone aware of a wiring diagram / document that
details this modification. Obviously earth switching switches are easier to
obtain than the +ve switching variety.

All information greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Chris Fereday