Stag/Stag Digest Archive

More on unleaded fuel

Staggers:

My wife and I just returned from our first long (1600+ mile) trip
in her Stag, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! The Stag is certainly
easier to tour in than the TR6, although I did miss the 6's power
and handling.

We did get to meet many other Staggers at the Roadster Factory
Party, and had a great time chatting with Graham Robson.

At the risk of extending the leaded vs. unleaded thread, I thought
I would pass on our experience of this past trip. Off-and-on I've
put a lead substitue (additive) in the Stag's tank. When we left
on Thursday I had put some in, but then neglected to do so for
the next tank or two. At that time the Stag began stalling at stops.
I looked at one of the spark plugs and noticed an orange color, and
had someone mention that this was due to using unleaded fuel in
a leaded engine, and that using a lead additive would help. Well, I
started using it regularly, and the improvement in the engine's
running is nothing short of astounding! Idle has smoothed out and
I've been able to set it for 750rpm in Drive. It starts with the turn of
the key, hot or cold (wouldn't start for s*** when hot before). Mileage
is between 23-25mpg on the highway.

Now some of this response to the lead additive may be due to the
non-stock 2-barrel Buick carburetor that the PO has on the engine.
All I know is that I plan on using that additive from now on!

     Bruce

      Bruce A. Krobusek
        '83 BMW R80RT
      '72 TR6  CC75665LO