Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag engine opinions wanted

Listers:

I'd like to get some opinions on what to do with the engine in the
wife's Stag. I have my own opinion, but I'm interested in comments
that others may have.

The Stag engine is leaking oil - to the point where I've christened it
the Exxon Valdez. I need to put about a quart of oil in the engine
every 400 miles or so. There is no indication whatsoever of the
engine using (burning) any. It all seems to be going on the ground
(replenishing our nation's oil reserves one drop at a time...). One
area that does seem to have one of the major leaks is at the rear
of the right-hand head - apparently a head gasket leak.

However, other than that, the engine runs like a champ. 20+mpg;
starts reliably; sounds good (no rattles); good power (for having an
auto tranny).

Since there are other areas of the car that need looking after as well
(like a front end rebuild), I'm tempted to leave the engine go until it
really needs some attention. Because one of the leaks seems to be
at the head gasket, if I'm going to pull the head(s) I might as well
rebuild the entire engine. But as long as I religously check the oil I
figure that we can continue as is for a while.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

     Bruce

      Bruce A. Krobusek