Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Intermittent miss fire/Overheating

Hi Nick
The car is running too hot.
I would do the following.
1 Check the antifreeze mixture. It should be about 25 to 30 percent
antifreeze.
If the water content is any lower than 70/75% it will run too hot, because
while antifreeze is a good freeze preventer it is a poor cooler. Water loses
its heat much quicker.
2 The timing can affect engine running temperature. I would check that.
3 You may have a blown head gasket. Check for oil in the water. Retorqueing
the heads is a longshot helper.
4  I would check the firmness of all the low tension connections. the
vibration and heat at 3000 might just cause a break. Does anything strange
happen to the rev counter. If not its probably fuel related.
5 Sorry but I didn't fully understand this
PS The car cut out completely one day last June after I left
it idling while checking the tyres.  The fuel pump was
clicking madly, but after a minute or two it stopped clicking
and the car restarted .

How did the car restart. Did you restart it? Did the engine stop when the pump
was clicking or after it had stopped clicking?

I don't know why vapour lock transpires, but when a fluid(fuel) gets hot
enough to turn to vapour it seems to have the same effect as sticking a cork
in the line.

I think the real answer would be to get the car tuned on a rolling road. That
should sort this nasty little gremlin out.
Peter