Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Green Filter / bits

Hi Ron

Only solution to the oil pressure problem is to take out the oil pressure
guage and fit a clock.  Triumph had this idea also when the car was new.
This gets over the 'worry', as oil pressure and oil flow are inversely
related, the oil pressure guages are notoriously inaccurate, and the
chances of you spotting a 'problem' in time to stop your engine getting
into trouble are similar to the odds on leaving Las Vegas rich.

There is a long story behind these fuel line devices, which seem to be
reviving themselves like a dinosaur - and just about as subtle.

There are three types on the market at present.

One type aims to 'regulate' fuel flow, making your engine more economical
and smoother.  In reality they restrict fuel supply, so if your pistons and
valves survice the experience, they just COULD work.

The second type is a variant of the 'wrap a magnet round your domestic
water supply and hey presto all the limecale disappears' variety.  Draw
your own conclusions.

The last type is usually 'pyramid' sold.  This is a lead pellet device
which you just throw in the petrol tank, or may be in a tube inserted in
the fuel line.  The idea is that lead is pulled out of these pellets very
slowly, giving ability to run lead-free petrol, and have a smoother, more
economical engine.  Scienticfic terst prove they don't work, but due to the
'pyramid' selling there are lots of people going round saying they work on
their car (these people usually have a garage full of the b.... things).
This device is also characterised by companies wihch go out of business
from time to time ............................

Finally, there is a new device supposed to be coming to market and I have
been attempting to follow this very carefully as it claims that 'dirty'
cars like the Stag will have a 'cat' emisions standard after fitment.  It
is alleged to fit in the air intake.  I have tried to get through to tthe
makers/importers in a number of guises including the Triumph Stag Register,
using my press card, Joe public but all to no avail.  All I know is the
company is recently formed.

Can we now have a lesson in marketing.  Cognitive dissonance is the mental
process by which we all reconcile ourselves to that which we own, being the
best you can get.  Thus, if I have an Austin Allegro, I will spend a lot of
time convincing myself, then you, that it is THE perfect car.  For the
benefit of our overseas friends, I can send you a picture of the Austin
Allegro on request, but I can bet you will wish I hadn't.

The subject of emissions remains emotive.  As a planet, we gotta cut down
the muck we are pumping out (cars are only a small part of it) so anything
that WORKS must be considered.  What we in the classic car movement have to
avoid, is being banned from the roads because of our exhausts and it is
quite possible we will eventually have to fit retro 'cats' and EFI if we
want to use our cars (hell, whats happening in Switzerland).

And I haven't given you the sermon on effluent yet.

Note: has anybody got a domestic heating boiler fitted with a 'cat'?

Hot, greasy, burnt fingers and tired, bent over a barbie in 33C, she who
must be obeyed cracking whip.  Looks like I've got to go up the ladder this
afternoon to paint some windows, I'll go for another tinny instead.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register