Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Car Audio

Hi Richard

The standard radio hole on the Stag is in fact very large, it was the 'new'
DIN size as Triumph thought that would be be the de facto standard from
then on.  Unfortunately, the DIN standard covered two sizes, of which
Triumph chose the large one which it turns out was never used by anybody,
ever after!!!

So, the radio manufacturers made up adaptor plates for the then current
two-knob radios, and this worked (just).  It comprised a large flat front
plate (usually black crackle finished) big enough to fill the gaping hole
and more, plus a pair of bent brackets to slot into the gaping hole and
locate the radio vertically.  The method of assembly was to push the radio
right through the hole, then fit the back brackets to the spindles, then
pull forward to fit the flat front plate, nuts on spindles and hey presto,
Vera Lynn on medium wave.

If you want to fit a current DIN slot radio, a similar flat plate can be
bought, into which the DIN adaptor fits nicely.  However, locating the
plate is tricky.  In my case I ran 4 screws through the plate (but just
inside the corners of the gaping hole) and a flat plate with a DIN hole in
it behind the wood, then screws to tighten.  The 4 screws show, at the time
I didn't have time for anything sophisitcated and promised myself to come
up with something more pleasing later.  So far all I've done is polish the
screw-heads!  At least I haven't had to butcher the wood, and I now get
traffic information.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register