Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: cooling system

Hi All
I have been away.
So this is late.
About your cooling problem. Is there any chance that your water level dropped.
Have you checked since to find it all there. Sometimes when the gauge goes up
as yours did, it can be that the sensor is dry, and gets overheated.
Is your temperature gauge sender correctly located in the bottom of the
transfer elbow plate at the back of the LH cylinder head and not in the top of
the RH one.
Maybe the radiator is not flowing as free as it should. Was that replaced, or
checked 7000 miles ago.
The car is certainly overheating more than it should.
Mine did on the Footman James Retro Run, but that was because I had the rally
plate across the grille. I thought the air largley came in under the bumper,
but on looking I see the number plate conveniently diverts it all under the
car!
By the way another trick to drop the temperature is to pull the bonnet release
catch, that will allow hot air out in front of the windscreen. Not
particularly recommended, especially when on the move unless you have an early
Mk1 like mine with the pullhandle on the Drivers side (UK).
Peter Howells