Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: cooling system

Hi Richard

I think we have it.  It certainly looks like after-boil to me.

After the high speed run, the latent heat in the engine
suddenly cannot get away because you now have a low
tickover speed and virtually NO water pump flow.  Coupled
to this, because you are stationary no natural airflow over
the engine.  All this time, the engine is still working fairly
hard and producing lots of heat because it is 'fighting' the
torque convertor.

First thing clearly, is to whip the lever into neutral as
 soon as you stop.  It would help also if you could manage
to slow over a mile or two, so the engine has a chance
of losing some of that heat.

Then look at the water pump, which means stripping out
the intake manifold to get to the pump top cover.  The
stated clearance from cover to impellor is supposed to
be 0.010 to 0.030", your mission is to drive down that
clearance to the minimum 0.010" so the impellor is a bit
more effective at tickover speed.

This is about all I can suggest, other than fitting one of
Glenn Merrell's fan cowls which are copies of the original
Triumph parts and are designed to pull more air through
the radiator stationary and at low engine/road speeds.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register