Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Restoring my Stag

   Mike,
         Yes, I will certainly do that. All is going well so far, the whole car
has been stripped and rusted areas cut out leaving some pretty impressive
holes in the bodywork.
         The engine has also been stripped and the worst damage is a valve
through one of the pistons and a broken timing case where the chain hit it.
No problem, apparantly, according to the mechanic!!
         They have taken loads of photographs and have checked with me all
along on small details, like do I want to retain the same colour (yes!), can I
get a set of under bonnet stickers (yes), do I want the engine bay sprayed
as original or with rust inhibiting paint (original) and so on. They have only
recently moved into their premises, which are still a bit rough and ready
but then I've been to Faversham Classics and seen their premises, so I
don't expect car restorers' workshops to look like main dealer showrooms.
         I'm sure many must be thinking you only get what you pay for and
£2,000 is too cheap (me included), so I can only wait and see, but, so far,
all is going well,
                Stan Barnett.

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:56:39 -0400 Mike Wattam <101714.1343@domain.elided>
wrote:
>Hi Stan
>
>Your restorer really sounds almost too good to be true.  Perhaps when you
>have had the work done you could let us all in the Stag Digest know how you
>got on.
>
>Mike Wattam
>Triumph Stag Register

S.A.Barnett,