Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Unleaded engine

Hi,
Here is are a couple of questions which have bothered me since
all this engine conversion talk started.
I replaced my 1977 Stag with a 1973 (built 1972) MK2 last year.
I quickly fitted Lumenition and an oil pressure guage.
My mechanic retarded the timing so I could go unleaded, which I
have used solely ever since. Jimmy (mechanic) reckons that since
I don't intend doing more than 2/3 thousand miles pa. It will be
quite a long time before any damage is done.
My question's are:
Am I damaging more parts of the engine than would normally be changed
if converting to unleaded? Is this false economy?
I'm not being mean. I just think that I may as well wear out the part
involved before ripping them out.
Am I saving enough to pay for the parts when required? :-)))

Cheers,
David
--
David McDougall			|  Mailto:david.mcdougall@domain.elided
(Accounts Dept)			|  Tel: +44 (0)131 467 8413