Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Copy of: Battery

Peter

You wrote;

"The Stag needs a 56 amphour battery according to the manual and handbook
My understanding is that while the 071 battery will do the job reasonably
well, it is not up to 56amp hours. "

Yes, the 071 is what has always been specified for the Stag, GBY 208
corresponds to 071.  And it just happens to be of 56a/h rating.

Last year I fitted my fourth Lucas 071 in 25 years - identical to the
battery fitted new to Stags - and that gives the batteries an average life
of 8 years each.  I think not bad?

These batteries also support 100 watt main and dipped headlamp beams, and
apart from when they die, have never let me down.

By the way, the capacity of the battery is not that important anyway except
to turn the engine over reliably at sufficient speed to start.  Provided
the lamp capacity plus other electrical loads does not exceed the capacity
of the alternator, it is the alternator which keeps the lamps going.  The
alternator capacity is rated at 43 amps hot on MK1's and 45 amps on MKII's

You also wrote;

"I do notice with that 071 battery that the flashers work more slowly when
the
engine is switched off."

Bulbs will be dim if they are not getting engough voltage.  There are
simple possible reasons for this.

a.      your charging system is not working properly so the battery is not
fully charged
b.      you still have your night dimming relay connected
c.      one or more cells of the battery are dud
d.      the battery is partially discharged
e.      there are one or more poor connections in your wiring circuit.

The last item could be in many places but start off with these;

bad bulbs
poor connections from bulbs to holders
poor earth from lamps to body
poor earth from engine to body to battery
poor loom connections
Alternator diode earthed
poor switch connections, column stalks and light switch

Take some volt drop and resistance readings and you will soon discover the
culprits.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register