Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Running on unleaded petrol

Copy of e-mail to Richard Brake:

I have attached the report on the phasing out of leaded petrol, as
requested.  I think you will see when is the 'right' time for your
circumstances, to fit hardened valves/seats to the Stag.  This is not led
by commercial considerations !!!!!!  Please note the report is for Stag
drivers only.

Regarding your PI's, the position is quite different.  Unless you are
planning VERY light duties, with unleaded petrol the cylinder head will not
be able to stand up to the pummelling from the valves and seat recession
will occur - either slowly or quickly.  Therefore you are faced with a
repair bill for the head work at least.

In relation to FIE, the distributor and HP pump are likely to suffer with
unleaded.  There is a firm selling revised components, but as far as I can
see, they have just increased the clearances to prevent siezure and I am
not technically able to say whether this is actually viable.  However, when
LRG (Lead Replacement Gasoline) becomes available it is possible that it
will lubricate adequately to enable the standard FIE to be used, and it MAY
be that you do not have to rework your cylinder head.  If you want to know
more, I have a 'friendly' fuels scientist at Esso and can get more info for
you.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register