Stag/Stag Digest Archive

The unleaded issue

Brian

I sympathise with your health problems and wish you much more good health.

Only one thing is certain.  We continue to allow ourselves to be
manipulated by the politicians etc., and if there is any firm evidence for
anything, it is not published so we are unable to see for ourselves or make
our own judgements.  We therefore have to rely on what we see and hear, and
I believe we are very seldom told the truth.

Thus, the absolute truth about lead in petrol remains obscure.  All we DO
know is that removing lead from petrol is a lost cause, as the politicians
are hooked up on this as a 'green' issue where they aren't involved in any
personal cost.

Benzene is more interesting, and I know it is your personal hobby-horse.
As you found when I sent you lots of papers, there is wilful ignorance by
politicians and other vested interests, of the effects of Benzene.  Benzene
has in fact been added to petrol for many years, and attempts are being
made to reduce it.  It does not feature any greater level in unleaded than
in leaded.  It is added to increase the octane rating of petrol, and as any
petrol varies by the barrel in its intrinsic octane rating when refined,
thus the sporadic addition of various amounts of benzene.

In fact, the 'new' LRG fuels are the first to have a maximum permissible
Benzene content, and I do know the European Commission is looking hard at
the use of benzene with a view to removing it completely by 2008 - all this
is under review.  However, ask why this is being done and all you get is
stony stares.

Benzene however is not by any means the only culprit.  Sulphur content of
automotive fuels (particularly Diesel) is very high at the moment and
attempts are also being made to bring this down to nil, but yet again the
reasons are not clearly stated - nor are any learned papers available.

It is very fashionable to blame cars for everything (e.g., 'speed kills')
but the truth is your central heating/aircon puts out much more filth into
the atmosphere than you could ever do driving 24 hours a day, and that's
ignoring industry.  I'm afraid when I hear/see the loony left/right
pressure groups campaigning not to do something, I am likely to do the
opposite and I am not the only one.  Good sense should prevail in all
things.

For instance, the issue of nuclear power stations.  The effect of radiation
has over-ruled the plan to convert to this clean energy source in the UK.
So we are landed with highly inefficient, old and costly gas, oil and
coal-burning power stations spewing filth into the atmosphere 24 hours a
day.  The difference in atmospheric pollution levels in England vs France
(where c80% of electricity is nuclear fuelled) is too visually obvious to
ignore.  And our politicians are telling us to use electric cars as if
these do not pollute the air!

However, your point about petrol being a hazarduous substance is very
valid.  You would not believe I saw a mechanic only last week washing his
hands in an open tin full of petrol he had just drained out of a car.
Amazing!

Authoritively written factually researched reports on Benzene and Sulphur
in fuels remain impossible to obtain.  I will however continue looking and
asking questions via ICDP.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register