Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Transmission filler plug Help Needed

Hi Darwin

You wrote;

"I have a problem with my Stag.  I need to check the oil level.  How do you
get the filler plug out of a transmission which will not move with an open
end wrench?  There is not enough access room to use a visegrip as well as a
lower stiffening web that prevents getting a good grip on the square plug
surface.  Why didn't they use a hex head, so that you could use a socket?"

Square-ended socket drain plug wrenches are available in the UK quite
cheaply,
which should make short work of this so the tightness and the casting web
should not be problems.  However, I do not recommend this to be used to
refit the plug.   If you can't get it off with one of these or a 'Mole'
wrench, read on.

If the square head gets mauled by misuse, it must have been badly
overtightened
(tapered thread) and getting it out will almost certainly entail dropping
the
back of the gearbox so you have more clearance to get at it.

Normally, this plug should be easily removable with an open-ended
spanner, and nothing else should be used to re-tighten it.  In fact, use
very
great care in re-tightening it as the plug has a tapered thread.  Because
of this;

a.  it will always be much more difficult to remove than fit
b.  if overtightened will crack the aluminium housing

The correct tightening torque is 20-24 lbf-ft but this seems very high to
me.
I have been using an open ended spanner for 25 years and still have a
good square on the plug, easy to get on and off.  Which is more than can
be said for the operation of topping it up, I really like transmission oil
all over my face and bruised shoulder-blades............

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register