Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Transmission filler plug Help Needed

Darwin

If this is the manual box that you are talking about I had exactly the
same problem with mine on an old Stag that I owned years ago.. There
must be some sort of a special tool that fits through the transmission
tunnel to undo the plug..

I thought of topping mine up through the gearstick hole, but was unsure.
Nobody could tell me whether this would work or not. Of course it was
only to be a short term fix :-)

In the end, I dropped the box down on a trolley jack while a friend
checked clearances etc on the bulkhead and gave the plug some abuse with
a set of mole grips.. Naturally to do this you will need to remove,
Radiator, exhaust intermediate pipes and propshaft. What a fuss just to
top up the gearbox..

Good luck

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag