Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Diff Oil Leak

Thanks to all who replied to my previous posting on this subject
regarding the substantial oil leak from the diff. In summary despite
a new pinion seal it still leaked buckets.

Well, I've finally got around to removing the diff from the Stag.

The existing pinion seal looks OK, with a good fit
when checked against the quill shaft. However looking at the
diff itself  where the seal fits into the diff the seating is not
continuous. There is a 1 inch piece missing from
the bottom right hand quadrant of the seating in the diff nose.
When tipped up oil pours through this hole.

By the look of the edges there appears to be a piece that has
fractured off .

I'm posting this on the very slight chance this supposed to
be like this!

Any one got a good second hand diff I can fit or am I better
buying a new complete unit? Alternatively can I get an empty
case and refit the internals?

Regards

Nick