Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Running the first time

Hi
I think thats a wee bit too hot, but we don't know
How hot the day was?
Is the right stat in there and is it working
Whether the gauge was accurate?
What fluid was in the cooling system - Higher the ratio of Antifreeeze, worse
the cooling Aim for 25% - 30%
Is the Ignition timing good (How did the engine respond. Smooth as silk, or
Gee this is taking some boot to get going?)
Was the right fuel in there. I guess that ones a Yes!
Is the temperature gauge sender faulty -

All worth checking when you buy a Stag.
Get a temp gauge from a central heating firm.
Lay it on the top of the hot manifold with the sensitive bit in contact. It
should go to about 85-90 degrees celsius when ticking over.

If you do all that and she's still hot, maybe the radiator is a bit clogged.
Needs flushing out - rodding out or replacing.
 Then get one of Glenns shroud kits, because they really do take off about 8
degrees when you leave her ticking over for twenty minutes, the most punishing
test you can set that!
Hope it helps
Peter Howells.