Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Miles per gallon

In a message dated 13/07/1998 08:18:18 GMT,  richard.hudson@domain.elided
writes:

<<
 Ha! Ha! Ha! It is amazing what the manufacturers will try to make us
 believe isn't it??

 Mine seems to average very low 20's or even high teens around town and
 mid 20's on a run, provided that I keep below 3500rpm. So one of the
 figures below seems to bear some truth..

 These testing guys must put blocks of wood under the throttle pedal when
 they run these tests.

 Still love it to bits though..

 Richard Hudson
 73 Auto White Stag >>

The information was provided for David Kirk who was enquiring about
Manufacturers graphs and asking about the max economy design speed of the
Stag. He said BMW produced such graphs.

Not being able to send a graph, I transcribed the figures for Non Overdrive
and Overdrive Stag.
The figures are the accurate results from factory tests at the time, and they
are the absolute figures at the speeds mentioned.
Naturally most auto Stags will deliver 18 to 22 mpg around town (Urban cycle)
and about 25 touring (Extra Urban cycle) because we clearly can't go along at
exactly 40 mph all the time.
So for a remark to be made that the factory figures are worthless and should
be ignored, can in itself be ignored. If the factory figures were 2 MPG or 100
MPG then I agree they would be worthless because they would be nowhere near
the actual experience. But this is not the case, the figures from the graph
support the known averages very well.
If you have the carbs and timing set right and drive as would a member of the
Advanced Driving Institute, which I am sure you all do, you are almost
scientifically bound to deliver a fuel consumption result that tallies with
the factory figures.
Considered logically, how can the engine take on more fuel than the vacuum it
generates will take.
If you have an overdrive you will get the result that was mentioned by Stan
Barnett, around 30mpg
Since thats about 50% more, an Overdrive would cut my costs by 33% from £1200
to £800 per annum, hence my earlier interest in an Overdrive to go onto the
Auto Box. (I could'nt handle a manual box).
Glad you love it to bits anyway
Peter Howells