Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag oil filters

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Wattam <101714.1343@domain.elided>
To: The Browns <thebrown@domain.elided>
Date: Saturday, July 11, 1998 12:17 PM
Subject: Stag oil filters

Hi Darwin

If using a filter which is NOT a GFE 147, do make sure both ends of the
the
filter are all-metal, and that the metal end plate has a raised ridge
round
it.

This is essential to fit on the Stag.  If you fit any other type, you
will
have big problems.

The problems with oil filter on the Stag are these;

1.  a flat end plate on the filter blocks the oilway.  For oil to be
pumped
through, the filter has to be lifted off its seat.  Thus you get low oil
supply, and unfiltered oil.

2.  many filters have a flat end plate and a glued-on cardboard ring to
seal it and give the clearance to the oilway.  Unfortunately the glue is
likely to melt under the force of hot oil, so the cardboard ring will
slip
and either block the oilway completely, or will allow unfiltered oil
through.

Which is why the 'gasket' on the correct filter has no glued-on seal,
and
why it has a raised section to hold the filter away from the oilway.

If you (or any other reader) would like the full write-up on this with
photographs and sketches, please let me know and I will e-mail same to
you.

This item of Stag know-how should not be overlooked if you want your
engine...............

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register

Mike, thanks for the information on Stag filters.  Please see below
comments recieved from Tim Buja.  I have not had a chance to check out
whether these NAPA Gold filters # 1184 meet your specifications, but I
will be sure they do, before I install them in my Stag.  Do you know if
there is a difference between the TR7 and the Stag filter requirements?
Darwin

I'm currently using a NAPA Gold filter #1184.  If your NAPA store
doesn't have a Stag listing in their parts books, ask them for the
filter they stock for the TR7 - it is the same part number.  This filter
comes with two sealing rings.  You must use the larger (.125" x .125",
or 3mm x 3mm) square section ring as specified in the ROM, procedure
12.60.01.  You can also get the Unipart GFE147 filter from The Roadster
Factory, which sells them as single filters, or in three-packs at a
slightly reduced unit price.  TRF was backordered on this part until
about two weeks ago.  I think the NAPA price is around $5 to $7.
Tim Buja - Rockford, Illinois, USA - 80 TR8, 73 Stag, 72 TR6